WELBECK SAILING CLUB
Race series trial and development
Following the popularity of the winter trial races in 2010, we extended and develop the race series concept in subsequent years to see if it proves workable and enjoyable. This is still something of an ongoing experiment so please feel free to pass on any feedback to Michael or any Committee member.
The main features of the system are explained below along with the points awarded.
- There will be three separate race series, Early season, Mid season and Late season. Please see the Club Calendar for dates.
- Each series will be compose of eight days racing. (8 Sundays – 8 weeks).
- Each week two races (the 12:00 and 2:00) are the eligible races.
- Boats will be ranked in each race by correcting times with the Portsmouth Yardstick.
- Each boat will be awarded points for successfully completing a race, as per the below table.
- NEW JUNE 2011 – Table row now based on number of boats starting(not finishing) each race.
- From the 16 possible race results, the best 12 results for each boat will contribute to the series.
- The greater the competition, the bigger the fleet, so the more points that can be earned.
- However, if only one boat successfully finishes it is awarded a point premium.
- The Officer Of the Day will earn points equivalent to a third place finish.
- The boat with the most points at the end of the series will be the winner.
- Results will be posted on a week-by week basis on the club noticeboard and (hopefully) online.
It is intended that this system will allow a fleet of varying size to compete over a number of weeks, in such a way that encourages participation but does not penalise those who cannot race regularly. Not all victories are the same – smaller less well attended races will earn the participants points, but winning the larger races will earn more points. It is in the Officer Of the Day’s best interest to encourage race entry, and he is now not disadvantaged by being absent from the racing fleet. The podium finish positions (first, second, third) are rewarded proportionally more than subsequent finish positions (ie fourth, fifth, sixth).
Table to show – Points awarded by finish position and initial fleet size
|Number of Starters||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12|